Saturday, June 14, 2008

My experience with epilation...

One of my best friends, M, has been telling me about her new epilator and how it's changed her life. Basically an epilator is like an electric razor, but with little "tweezer" heads that yank the hair out at the root. Yes, it sounds painful, but supposedly it only hurts the first time you do it. M said "it feels like a bikini wax, but slow..." It's cheaper than waxing, lasts as long, and is totally do-it-yourself at home. (I have some privacy issues about being spread eagle in front of a stranger wielding hot wax...) I'm traveling a lot this summer and don't want to deal with the hassle of packing a razor and shaving in a hotel shower, so I decided to order one. I got the same one M did, she did her research and got a Braun Silk-epil Xelle because it had the best reviews. I ordered it from drugstore.com, one of my favorite sites. Apparently I was feeling brave when I first received it because I tried it first on my, um, down there area. Simultaneously I: teared up, got chills, started to sweat, peed a little bit, and cursed M's name. But I forced myself to keep going, and going, and going...and it's ALL gone. And then, as I was dabbing up the little dots of blood, I thought, "Wow, this is great! Thanks M!" I've been hair free down there for almost 2 weeks. You really do get used to initial the pain I guess. So the other night I decided to try my legs and underarms. On my legs it was more of an irritating sting. So B poured me a man glass of wine, and then another one...and two glasses in I was epilating with the super/pro head. Both legs got done and felt great. Halfway through my 3rd man glass I decide to head to the bathroom and try it out on my arm pits. WOWEEEE! White wine goes straight to my head and I have very little tolerance for it, so I'm convinced that anything that can make my eyes water and hurt my feelings after having consumed 3 glasses in 30 minutes has got to be EXCRUCIATING when sober. BUT, it worked great and I'm now hair-free in all the right places! You cannot imagine all the time it has saved me in the shower.

1 comment:

kolls said...

That sounds absolutely horrifying... yet intriguing! I may have to purchase one of these and try it out after a coupla margaritas...