Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dessert



"I'm a big believer in dessert. And let me tell you, if there were more dessert believers like me, this whole country would be a much nicer place. Certainly better than the nation of jittery, testy insomniacs we've become thanks to those damned Starbucks on every corner.
I swear this national caffeine addiction is what's making everyone so angry these day. Have you noticed? We're angry about the war, about debt, about politics, work, Global Warming, gas prices, the economy, our neighbors. But mostly, it seems to me, people are angry about not being more successful. They're so busy getting ahead and not falling behind that they've forgotten the simple, inexpensive pleasures. Like eating fresh blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream outside on the picnic bench after a day of swimming and picking berries. Or gathering with friends in front of the fire on a snowy evening with hot buttery bread pudding and baked apples while outside a winter wind howls...That's what dessert means to me – a dollop of sweet love in an otherwise cold world."


This is an excerpt from Sweet Love, by my new favorite author Sarah Strohmeyer, and I couldn't agree more...

1 comment:

Britt said...

That's a cute excerpt. I don't like pancakes but I LOVE Belgian waffles with whipped cream and white chocolate chips on top. :-)